Meetings are one of the worst kinds of workplace interruptions. They’re held too frequently, run too long, and involve more people than necessary.
At Tandem, we keep meetings to a minimum, encourage brevity, and strongly prefer concise agendas.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of principles we follow about meetings:
- Meetings are limited as much as possible
- Meetings are usually a waste of time
- No meeting should run over it's scheduled time
- Meetings should be short and targeted
- Meetings should be ad-hoc (scheduled as needed, not standing)
- Meetings should have an agenda
- Schedule meetings with flow in mind (batch them, don't sprinkle throughout day)
- Meetings should have defined goals/outcomes (see agenda above)
- only invite people who need to be there